Time to hit the boat, pool and beach! Here are a few things we love so far!
Time for food! Dr. Ben gave us the go ahead to start introducing baby food into Rhett’s daily routine. Here are a few of necessities we have learned work great!
Let me start by saying how INCREDIBLY EASY it is to make your own baby food. PLUS it saves money and is better for baby! Just think… baby food sits on the grocery store shelf for at least a year and doesn’t expire – hello preservatives. We made the choice to take a little time each week or a couple times a month to make it ourselves. 15-20 minutes gives you enough food for the entire week, take a couple of hours on a Sunday and you’re good for the entire month. Like any other mom, I have a million things going on like work, juggling house stuff, spending time with the hubby and um…taking care of a baby! but let me just tell you that it takes no time at all to do this. While it can seem overwhelming, a little practice goes a long way.
Along with turning 3 months old, Rhett has grown to love a few things that seem to do the trick around here!
First up, the exercise ball! A MUST for soothing babies into a deep sleep! My cousin Kelly sent this to me – a mother of 3 knows all! This has saved the day many times – when nothing else worked – this did! Another perk – started working on getting those abs back into shape! For bath time, we have been loving the Johnson and Johnson’s lavender soothing baby line compliments of Rhett’s Aunt Colleen! The yummy and relaxing scent goes nicely with bed time! Also, we love the Kiehl’s Baby Lotion – make skin so soft! My friend Kathryn gave us a set of baby soap from Beekman – the bar soap allows for easy bath cleaning. Rhett is starting to understand music and colors! The iPhone is coming in handy while going on walks and playing on the floor. He loves the Baby Einstein app that displays bright colors and plays fun music. We also love the Baby Einstein Pandora station – not only does it play the coolest nursery music like Chicago and Aerosmith but Rhett especially loves it. Easy on Mommy and Daddy’s ears too! The owners of our favorite local jewelry store, Levy’s, sent the most precious gift for Rhett – a silver rattle with his name and birthdate. We put this handsome gift to use and Rhett loves shaking it around. It’s a good size and weight to help Rhett build up his throwing arm (per Patrick!). After many exhausting efforts in changing the crib sheet, my friend Sarah suggested the Ultimate Crib Sheet – boy, was I missing out! Because of the bumper, it’s pretty difficult to get the sheet off and on the mattress, so this clever find just snaps on top – making for easy change out. What a time saver! Lastly, baby massage! My cousin, Kelly, also sent me an instructional guide on techniques for baby! I’ve been trying out a few moves and it seems to really relax Rhett. What a lucky boy – when does mommy get a message I wonder? I’ll cash in a few shoulder rubs when he’s older!
It’s almost month 2 – can you believe it? I certainly cannot! There are a few things I’ve discovered and wanted to share regarding new Mommy Style! A few were suggestions from other mommies and others I discovered along the way.
1) Mother’s Milk Tea This hot tea was suggested by a friend of my sister-in-law – she drank it a ton while nursing and it helps with your milk production. I’ve been drinking it and I do believe it works!
2) Kate Quinn Organic Clothing I discovered this on Gilt and I LOVE the style and patterns! Rhett has a few things and he is so stylish in them!
3) HugaMonkey Baby Slings My cousin, Kelly, recommended this and sent me one – so sweet! It’s great to just toss on to wear around the house. Rhett gets all cozy in there and goes right to sleep. It’s a little quicker than assembling the Baby Bjorn!
4) GapBody Casual Sets Coming out of pregnancy causes a few kinks in your wardrobe so I quickly stocked up on stylish casual sets to wear around the house and running errands. My mother in law calls it carpool clothes which I will soon learn is very appropriate! Loving the quality and fit of Gap Body – Target has some great pieces as well. Until all of my normal clothes fit accordingly, I’ll be sporting these for a while. My favorite is black from head to toe with a peek of color with a tank – very slimming!
5) iPad + Cover – I spend a lot of time nursing Mr. Rhett and during these times, there isn’t much to do except for search on my iPad or read a book. It’s my time to catch up on things and feel like a part of society outside my home. Pinterest is my favorite of course!
6) Nursing Tank Tops – these are a MUST! They have a built-in bra and allows easy access for nursing. I wear these under my jackets or tops and they are supper comfortable. Plus, they provide support!
One of my very dear friends, Heather Burge, gifted me the most useful gift I have received! When I say useful, I mean the “keeping me sane” type of useful. Heather is a seasoned mother of Miss Lawson and quickly learned the value of this amazing book. I present to you “The Happiest Baby on the Block”. I have had lots of recommendations for books about schedules, soothing techniques, etc but this one fit the bill. It was easy to read – so easy, I was able to read during nursing sessions in a few days. The basis of the book is ‘recreating’ the womb environment for your baby. It makes PERFECT sense and seems like a very natural route for caring for your little one. From swaddling, swinging, sucking, stomach/side position and sound, Dr. Karp, discusses the “5 S’s” of calming techniques. I’m serious when I say that all of these techniques work instantly in calming baby Rhett. You begin with swaddling, then proceed with the other “S’s” until the baby stops to cry and falls asleep – so easy! He does touch on colic methods but since we were lucky enough to not experience that circumstance, I skimmed through those chapters. I highly recommend this book to any mommies to be – but of course, as you will soon learn, every baby is different and you will figure out what works best for you! A few things we have learned are key.
1) Happiest Baby on the Block book 2) The Miracle Blanket because Rhett can’t break out of this one! 3) Gumdrop Pacifiers – the best! 4) Wubbanub so when baby spits out the pacifier, it stays rested on their chest for easy retrieving! 5) Sound Machine – makes the necessary white noise for easy sleeping! 6) Stationery for writing thank you notes! Between dinners and gifts, these are a necessity for a new mommy! I designed custom notes for Rhett!